Amphibians ,Reptiles -100 Interesting Facts
- Amphibians can live both in land as well as in water. Their name comes from a Greek word ‘ amphibios’ which means ‘both lives’. Frogs, salamanders and toads are all amphibians.
- Reptiles have many similarities with amphibians but there are lot of differences too. Amphibians are mostly born in water & they have to live near water all the time so that their skin does not dry out, both of these things are not there in case of reptiles. Many of the amphibians also have gills along with lungs but reptiles breathe only through lungs.
- The scientific study of reptiles and amphibians is called Herpetology.
- Have you heard about a frog named Tomato? It has a funny way to respond to dangers. It puffs its body with air so as to look bigger to its enemies.
- You must have heard about ‘raining frogs’. Actually these events happen for real. It happens when windstorms pass over ponds full of frogs. These storms pick them up & throw them somewhere else.
- The eyes and nose of a frog are on the top of its head so it can see and breathe when almost all of its body is under the water!
- The world's largest frog is the Goliath Frog ,it lives in western Africa!It can grow up to 33 cms & can weigh 33 kg!
- Do you know Salamanders don’t make any sound? They are voiceless animals!
- The largest reptile is the saltwater crocodile; it can stretch up to six to seven meters. The smallest reptile is the dwarf gecko, it is smaller than an average human thumb.
- A crocodile can remain without food for two years!
- Crocodiles swallow stones to help them dive deeper!
- A crocodile can hold its breath for 8 hours in cold water!
- Crocodiles can swim just with the help of their powerful tail with 40 km (25 miles) per hour ,and can stand underwater for 2-3 hours.
- A crocodile can not see inside water & also can’t stick its tongue out.
- Did you know a tortoise can live up to 150 years.The Galpagos tortoise has a potential life span of 200 years.
- Do you know a snake can swallow prey thrice its own size? They can do this because of their highly elastic tendons.
- Do you know why snakes dart out its fork-shaped tongue? It does so to pick up & recognise its prey’s scent.
- The world’s most poisonous snake is the Belcher’s sea snake .It is believed to be 100 times more venomous than the deadliest snake on the land!
- Snakes don't have eyelids .Snakes also don't have ears,they are totally deaf.However they are able to hear from the vibrations on the ground.
- King Cobra is the only snake which builds nest.
- A chameleon’s sticky tongue is longer than its whole body.
- A chameleon can focus its eyes separately to watch two objects at once.
Funny facts about Crocodiles, Frogs and snakes