5 Oceans & Seas-Interesting Facts
- If you could evaporate all the water out of all the oceans and spread the resulting salt over the Earth ,you would have a 500 -foot layer covering everything!
- Do you know that life in the ocean varies as we go deep ! Plants grow to a depth of about 107 meters.Fish color changes ,fish living near surface are often blue ,green or violet.In twilight zone,which is 180 meters down ,fish are silver or light colored.Many fish living 3000 meter down in the dark ocean waters,have their own lights.
- Dead Sea is so salty because it is surrounded by a hot desert ,the intense heat causes sea water to evaporate faster ,thus large quantity of salt remaining in sea as large quantity of water goes into air
- The Pacific is the largest and deepest ocean in the world.
- The Red Sea in the Indian Ocean has the saltiest water ,it is also known as Dead Sea as its water is so salty that nothing can remain alive in it.
- The Mercury,Gemini and Apollo spacecraft landed in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans when they returned to earth.
- Dead Sea (also known as Red Sea) is puts lot of upwards force due to large quantity of salt in it ,so people can remain afloat in this or can swim with no effort
- The Indian Ocean is the warmest ocean.The temperature of surface water sometimes touches 36.6 degrees
- The Mediterranean Sea is also called 'incubator of Western civilization'.
- The scientists who specialize in study of oceans are called Oceanographers .
- Do you know “Pacific means “peaceful”.Actually when people first found it ,they found it very calm & peaceful, so they named it “Pacific”.
- An estuary is a place where a river flows into the sea
- Do you know what are Mangroves? Mangroves are trees & shrubs that grow on sea shores & estuaries ,theor roots are special so that they can breathe in oxygen.
- Splash zones are parts of the beaches which are covered by water as the tide come.
- Tsunami is a Japanese word meaning high sea-waves .
- Do you what are Buoys? These are coloured metal floats which are anchored to the sea bed,these are used to warn sailors about dangers of rocks,sand-banks ,wreckage etc.
- Do you know what is a Knot? It is a measure of speed at sea .One knot equals 1.85 kilometer per hour.
- Scuba diving means diving under water with the help of scuba,it is an equipment for under-water breathing.
- The stout infantfish is the smallest fish in the sea. It lives in Great Barrier Reef in Australia
- Do you know there is a fish called Pufferfish ? They use air or water to puff themselves when they are angry or scared .
- Do you know how many fish are caught every year? The no. is appx. 120 million per annum(per year)
- Do you know natural pearls come from sea? Pearls are produced by oysters & mussels in response to irritation.
- Salt is produced by evaporating sea-water.This is done by flooding lot of sea water in salt pans or salt farms, then evaporation happens due to Sun & salt is left behind by evaporating sea-water.
- Sea snails were used to make purple color/dye for royal clothes
- Coral reefs are made by millions of small sea animals . When they die ,their skeletons are left behind & this forms a reef slowly-slowly
- Are Sea-horses really horses in the sea? Actually they are a tyoe of fish & they look like a horse,like on a chess-board.
- Fish named Trouts are considered to be best warning against pollution in rivers.Trouts fish need fresh & clean water with lot of oxygen.If they start disappering from a rver,that means that water-body is polluted to a large extent
- Fish name Salmon spend most of the time in oceans but they go back to the river where they were born to lay eggs .A solmon remembers the smell of the river it came from, it returns to the same river even it might be 1000 Kms away.
- What are crustaceans? These are kind of animals which have strong skeleton outside their body.These skeletons are made of calciums. Crabs ,shrimps & lobsters are crustaceans.
- When we put sea -shell near our ear on the shores of an ocean, we hear lot of sound ! Do you know it is not the sound of ocean ,but it is sound of blood surging into ear veins.
- Do you know that Neptune was the Roman God of the sea? For Greeks it was Poseidon.
- Do you know what are mermaids? In ancient times, sailors claimed to see the beautiful women with fish-like tails in the sea !
All Oceans–Fun & Interesting Facts:
Facts about Pacific Ocean–The Largest ,The Deepest:
- The Pacific Ocean has approximately 1/3rd of the Earth's surface.
- The Pacific ocean is larger than Earth's entire landmass.
- The Pacific ocean is also the deepest of all the oceans.
- The Pacific Ocean is the largest of all the oceans.
- The area and volume of the Pacific Ocean are greater than the Atlantic and Indian combined( taken together).
- The Mariana Trench in the Pacific ocean is the deepest point in the world, reaching a depth of 10,911 metres.
- Its name was given by a Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan , Mar Pacifico in Portuguese, meaning "peaceful sea“.
- The International Date Line passes through the Pacific Ocean .
- There are more than 25,000 islands in the Pacific Ocean, more than count of total islands in the rest of 4 oceans.
- The Great Barrier Reef in Pacific Ocean, is the longest reef in the world.
Facts about Atlantic Ocean–The Youngest ,Saltiest & the Busiest:
- Atlantic Ocean is the youngest among all the oceans. It is believed that it was formed during the Jurassic Period.
- Atlantic ocean is one of the busiest sea routes in the Western and Eastern Hemispheres.
- The name 'Atlantic' is derived from the legendary island of 'Atlantis', as mentioned by Plato, a great writer .
- Atlantic Ocean was the 1ST ocean to be crossed by ship or an airplane.
- The warm Gulf Stream of Atlantic Ocean keeps harbours in the Europe warm during winter-time.
- It is also believed that the name Atlantic comes from the Greek word Atlantikos meaning of which is the Sea of Atlas.
- The Atlantic Ocean is the world's saltiest ocean.
Facts about Indian Ocean–The Warmest
- The only ocean which derives its name from the name of a country , which is India .
- Indian Ocean is the warmest ocean in the world.
- Indian Ocean was also known as 'Ratnakara' in the ancient Indian Sanskrit literature. Ratnakara means 'the maker (creator) of jewels' in ancient Sanskrit language.
- Indian ocean has very less marine animal life which is due to its higher water temperature.
- Water in the Indian Ocean has one of the lowest oxygen content of the world owing to greater evaporation rate in this ocean due to its higher water temperature.
- Indian ocean is world's only closed ocean due to it being land locked to its north by the continent of Asia.
- It is about ½ the size of the Pacific Ocean.
- Scientists claim that the Indian Ocean is getting 20 cm wider every year.
Facts about Arctic Ocean–The Smallest & the Shallowest:
- The Arctic Ocean is the smallest and shallowest.
- The Arctic ocean is also the coldest of all the oceans.
- The North Pole is situated in the middle of the Arctic ocean , there is no land on at the north pole, it is a floating raft of ice.
- In past ,it was used to be called the Frozen Ocean,as the Arctic Ocean is covered with ice throughout the year in most of its central and western areas.
- The Arctic Ocean is roughly JUST 8% the size of the Pacific Ocean.
- During winter-time the Arctic Ocean is almost completely covered in sea ice.